Friday, March 29, 2013

Dark Dire Deeds- Part1



“Baba, I want new clothes for Eid. These old ones are completely worn-out and almost torn,” I told my father, Amir Shahban Kasab, furiously.

“Not now. We’ll talk about this later. We don’t have any more money to meet all of your foolish teenage demands,” Abba jaan told me irately.

“You never tell no to Suraiyya and Munir. Why am I the only one to receive such harsh and cold treatment from you? Am I not your son as well? Leave it. There’s no use of arguing with you. You will just snub me out and if I say something correct you will just pick up your belt and will flog me like always.”

“You just wait and see what happens to you today. You think too much of yourself, right?” He moved towards me while loosening his belt. But today was enough.

“It’s enough. Tomorrow is Eid and you’ll are fighting before an auspicious day? Ajmal, we will get you a coat next week,” interrupted my mom in traditional Urdu.

“He’s not getting a coat. I’m not giving him anything new, not right now. This good-for-nothing boy is 18 now. He doesn’t do anything other than loafing around with his equally useless friends. We barely manage to feed our family and this royal prince wants a new coat. Well, you can go and earn for it first,” retorted dad.

“Fine. I’m going. One day, I’ll be famous and my photograph will be printed in the newspapers, then you will accept me as your true son. I will return with success and I will also bring money and happiness. Wa alaykum us salaam mom and dad.”

Turning away, I walked away with nothing but just my clothes. Walked away into the darkness, far away from home as mom wept hysterically, and dad stormed around bristling with anger and annoyance. Unaware of my fate or destiny, I kept on walking; all alone in the darkness, with not even my shadow to keep me company.

No comments:

Post a Comment