Saturday, April 20, 2013

Revulsion and Remorse



Disgrace has spread through the nation. In a country where women have been placed at the tiers of being goddesses, it has been seen continually that these women have become the victims of the vermin of sexual assault and rape. The last ‘Nirbhaya’ case had been taken to the streets and people protested all over the country in order to provide some justice to the victim. But it was all in vain.

The government has vowed to take action against these revolting sinners but there has been no action in the time which has passed since the highly publicized ‘Nirbhaya’ case. And as time has passed, the next victim knocks at our door.

This time, the plight is more striking and moving. A five year old girl has been mutilated and her honor has been violated. And what do we do in that? We just watch from the sidelines; waiting for someone to take a step forward. This inaction is the courage that feeds these sinners.

Last time, it was a metal rod; and now it is a candle and some bottles. How can someone be so cruel with a fellow human being? Does the heart not weep at the cries of the poor victim? Does the heart not feel the pain permeating the body of the victim? I guess not; if it would, then there wouldn’t be such appalling incidents taking place in the country and also around the world.

The more moving fact which has shaken my world is that the police have taken no action. All they have done is to send away the parents with a bribe of Rs. 2000. Their inaction has been treacherous and has made me ask many questions including the one which involves the security and safety of citizens in my country.

Their absence at the moment of the crime has been replaced with mighty power and pride as they beat away protestors who ask for action; people who want justice; people who want to live in the country in complete peace and in the absence of these dark deeds.

But what can we do? That is the question which revolves in every person’s mind. “What will I do alone,” asks the mind. But does the conscience not answer these questions? Is there no hunger for justice?

As I read through the news in order to phrase this post, my blood boils. Anger seeps through my body and the shock hits my heart. I feel abhorrence towards the barbarous offender but my heart melts when I realize the fragile condition of the little girl. And my heart asks me the question,” What have you done to provide justice.”

My head bows low and my conscience remains silent in the repugnance, and the grief at inaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment